Friday, February 25, 2011

I teach...and I learn

So I got tapped to teach beginner sock-knitting at my favorite LYS (Two Kit Wits in Oak Ridge, NC). The first class was at the end of last year, and I think I learned as much as I taught. It was great fun, and while I did have one student bail after the first class (I'm looking at you, A.F.!), my other students stuck with it -- even the one who was knitting giant manfeet socks for her husband with the size 12 tootsies.

My second group of students started in January. This time around, I modified the class, focusing on making it easier to learn the Magic Loop technique, and using worsted weight yarn to make nice, thick socks for winter wear. Again, I had a student who was married to a man with giant manfeet. Size 14 this time. We've dubbed him "Sasquatch." His wife has come to the Dark Side -- er, I mean, discovered the joys of sock-knitting, and has knitted him two pairs of socks in just a few weeks.

I'm kicking myself for not getting photos of my first group of students. Here's one of the second group on our last night:And the first pair of Sasquatch socks:


I'm really proud of these ladies. We had a great time, learned something new, and did a whole lot of laughing. I'm now in the student position, as I'm taking my first sweater knitting class. I've made dog sweaters, but have never made one for myself. I'm slowed down a bit by a shoulder injury, but I'm determined to get this thing done. If a newbie sock-knitter can knock out two pairs of Sasquatch socks in a month, surely I can get a damned sweater done!

No comments:

Post a Comment