I finally finished my Halloween wool socks. I only bought this yarn a year ago (!!) from a woman on eBay. It's 100% superwash wool, so I ran some woolly nylon with the yarn as I knit the heel. This yarn was the "naughty yarn" I'd started to work with in '07, then after knitting 9 inches, realized I had made them too small. Although I hated frogging all that work and starting over, it turns out that it was best that I did. I originally knit these socks cuff down. If I'd continued that way, I would have likely run out of yarn before I could complete the toes. When I started over, I knit toe-up, using all but about 10 inches of the yarn. They ended up a little shorter in the leg than I usually like, but I'm delighted with the end result. I've already had a rave review on them, from a truly charming senior citizen I interviewed this afternoon. I have two more pairs on the needle, and I just located my size 5 circs so I can begin a pair from the Moda Dea Vision yarn I talked about in my last post. I also completed two cotton washcloths last week, which I'll wrap around a bar of handmade soap and give as gifts next week.
Necessity being the mother of invention, I created a kitten-proof project holder for small works-in-progress. It's easy: Take one of the plastic containers you get when you buy a big stack of CDs (they come with the black base featuring a spindle on which the CDs sit and a plastic, bucket-shaped, locking cover). Use a hacksaw to cut the spindle off the base. Take a bit of sandpaper to the spindle nub to sand off any rough bits. Turn the bucket-shaped cover over, tuck your yarn and circs inside, put the lid on and give it a twist to lock it. Ta dah! Kitten-proof storage.