Friday, June 6, 2008

Neglected Blog - Bad Knitwych! No Cookie!

OK, so I've been neglecting this blog. I'd like to say that it's because I've been knitting ton 'o socks, but that's not the case. I've just been crazy busy with this whole inconvenient trying-to-earn-a-living gig.

I'm still working on the two-pair-at-once-on-one-long-circular. Hopefully, I'll have them done within the week. I also cast on (using the nifty and painless toe-up method from Knitty.com) a pair of Simple Stripes from Knit Picks. I gotta say, I LOVE the toe-up method. The Kitchener stitch is not my friend (I can do it but I just don't like it), and this particular cast on is really easy! I've actually been knitting more on those socks than my two-pair-at-once project.

I have to share a great bit of praise I got from a friend whom I consider to be my guru on all things knitty. Jane has been knitting (hand and machine) forever, and even used to make and sell very luxurious and pricey sweaters through her own business. She's the one I call when I'm stumbling over a pattern or a term that's new to me, and she is always encouraging and supportive. A couple years ago, she patiently tried to teach me drop-spinning, which I can do but I just don't enjoy, and frankly trying to do this in a house with cats is an exercise in frustration and creative swearing.

Annnnnnnnyway, I knit Jane a pair of Opal socks for Yule (that would be Xmas to most folks), but just gave them to her last week. (How pitiful is that, eh? "Hi! It's June, but Happy Yule anyway!" )

Only a true knitter would, while sweating in 90+ degree heat, grab a pair of wool socks and shriek: "Oh my God! These are wonderful! I can't wait to put these on! These are awesome!" She proceeded to examine the socks (they're the blue striped ones on the sidebar) closely, checked the Kitchener stitch toe, the short-row heel and everything else, then presented her evaluation: "PERFECT! PERFECT! The color, the stitches, the tension - everything's PERFECT!"

I gotta say, that was one hell of an ego boost!!! :-)

In other news, today while sharing a birthday lunch with my editors, the newspaper staff and a fellow writer, I totally blew the mind of our male writer (we've just got the one) by informing him that not only is there a 10,000-member sock knitting discussion group on the Web, but that I have a sock blog. OK, so it's a knitting/crafty stuff blog, but lately all I've been doing is socks, so that's close enough. Poor guy - how can he get through life without being aware of these terribly important things going on??? ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment